From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inconsistent and messy layout of team maintainership in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 19:41:14
1 Dnia 2015-09-16, o godz. 23:25:33
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > So, what are your thoughts for unmessing this?
5
6 For completeness, a semi-conservative idea that could be implemented
7 relatively easily.
8
9 1. Stop caring about names. If people want to call it a project, let it
10 be a project. If people want to call it a herd, let it be a herd.
11 Whatever. Let's assume all of them are some kind of teams.
12
13 2. Provide a single machine-readable, developer-editable database of all
14 teams.
15
16 2a. All teams in the database are uniquely identified by their e-mail
17 address.
18
19 2b. The database can have some free-form fields for extra team info,
20 like type (project, herd, whatever if you really care), human-readable
21 name, description, homepage (-> wiki project page).
22
23 2c. The database explicitly lists all team members, possibly with their
24 role (lead/member). Optionally, we may allow listing sub-teams.
25
26 2d. Project wiki pages should pull from this database. Otherwise, we
27 consider the wiki project members lists useless and stop caring about
28 them.
29
30 3. Mail aliases correspond to all teams. We can implicitly append all
31 team members to them but we also allow adding extra people interested
32 in the bug mail there. Like we do right now.
33
34 4. Only team members listed in the database are considered relevant to
35 the package maintenance. Other mail alias members are considered
36 spectators without any extra privileges.
37
38 5. Package metadata lists e-mail addresses of all maintainers, either
39 people or teams.
40
41 5a. Each maintainer e-mail that is not a person must have a
42 corresponding team database entry (and a mail alias, obviously).
45 Now, for some practical least-effort implementation we can pretty much
46 reuse the tools we have now (and gain in terms of compatibility).
47
48 The team listing is pretty much what herds.xml is right now. We stop
49 caring about <name/> and start using <email/> as the unique identifier.
50 We make herds.xml obligatory and start using it as reference source for
51 team listings. We may also add a <url/> element for project pages,
52 and possibly <type/> to make some people who want fancy names happy.
53
54 All other stuff is pretty much there already -- maintainer listings,
55 with possibility of specifying roles, ability to subteam via
56 <maintainersof/>. We also have an official webpage listing them [1].
57 We may possibly want to teach Wiki to get project members from
58 herds.xml, dev.gentoo.org to update aliases from there and we need to
59 teach willikins to use e-mail addresses instead of (or aside to) names.
60
61 The package metadata.xml is pretty much ready too. We just stop using
62 the stupid redundant <herd/> element, and put every herd as
63 <maintainer/>. And again, we teach willikins to check maintainer e-mail
64 addresses for herds.xml matches when doing !meta -v.
65
66 So how do you feel about this?
67
68 [1]:https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/developers/herds.html