From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar.
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:36:46
1 On 04/30/2012 10:27 PM, Stelian Ionescu wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 22:00 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 > [...]
4 >> The answer I got from Gentoo's Mozilla Team when I proposed bumping it
5 >> to latest from the Firefox tarball was that "use npapi-sdk or
6 >> spidermonkey instead".
7 >>
8 >> Some which have needed more than just npapi-sdk or spidermonkey have
9 >> happily migrated to gtkhtml, or webkit-gtk.
10 >>
11 >> So I don't think it really makes sense to package and **maintain**
12 >> something upstream doesn't support, therefore I'm agreeing with the
13 >> Gentoo's Mozilla Team decision on this.
14 >> So no xulrunner anymore, even if that means losing 'chmsee' and 'kiwix'.
15 >
16 > Upstream doesn't support it, but Debian, Fedora, openSuse and other
17 > distros do so the maintenance work would be shared
20 Debian, Fedora, and OpenSUSE as non-rolling distributions need to keep
21 Firefox up-to-date for security.
22 I suspect this is the main reason they have ended up rolling this type
23 of xulrunner package. (For backward compat.)
24 We don't really have that "problem", as we can stabilize things much
25 faster, and phase out xulrunner and it's consumers much faster.