From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: openrc: oldnet vs newnet
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 04:14:50
1 On Monday, September 20, 2010 23:03:54 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 01:22:59AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
3 > > Finally, I'm not sure it absolutely needs it, but for clarity-sake and to
4 > > avoid second-guessing and debate continuing long past the point of
5 > > usefulness, I believe a council vote on the issue is appropriate. I
6 > > don't know where we are in the meeting cycle, but it seems to me that
7 > > barring some special-case exception, a vote in 10 days or so should be
8 > > plenty of time for folks to make their opinions known, so the first
9 > > meeting after that looks to be appropriate for a vote, to me.
10 >
11 > If we keep oldnet as the default, there is nothing for the council to
12 > vote on as far as I can see, because stable users are covered in the
13 > migration guide at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml.
14 > If they follow that path, there is nothing special they need to do
15 > outside of that, so there isn't any affect.
16
17 yeah, that isnt necessary. i didnt think people were actually using newnet
18 and so we could punt it, but apparently i'm wrong in that regard. which means
19 we either reach feature parity/simplicity between the two and merge them, or
20 leave it alone if, by design, that is not feasible.
21
22 oldnet may be complicated in some regards, but the fact that it easily works
23 on so many diverse systems/setups means it cannot simply be culled. on s390
24 for example, network setup requires loading modules and grubbing around in
25 /sys/ before the interface even exists. there is no package/script to do this
26 for you and every other distro ive seen out there that supports s390 has a
27 huge number of hacks in their init system to support things. whereas the
28 Gentoo way is extraordinarily clean.
29 -mike