From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] -Werror unwanted?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 16:14:34
On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 17:44 +0200, hasufell wrote:
> > > However, I don't see references to ebuild policy (in devmanual or > howtos) how to handle Werror. > > Is there a common opinion on that. And shouldn't we add that to the > documentation then?
-Werror is unwanted in anything that links to glib, gtk+, or other gnome libraries. This is because gnome upstream developers have been adding compiler warnings for usage of deprecated API which, despite being deprecated, will in all likelihood remain supported for years; -Werror turns those warnings into fatal build errors, and tracking down all instances of deprecated API use twice a year (after a new version of gnome is released) increases maintenance burden for little benefit. -Alexandre.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] -Werror unwanted? hasufell <hasufell@g.o>