From: Arthur Zamarin <arthurzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: WANG Xuerui <xen0n@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Announcing the Gentoo/LoongArch project
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 18:23:52
1 On 17/04/2022 18.33, WANG Xuerui wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > A lot have happened since my last progress update regarding the
5 > Gentoo/LoongArch port in January; among other things, I'm a Gentoo developer
6 > now, so I got to edit the project page and announce it myself. :-)
7 >
8 > The project page is at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:LoongArch, where
9 > I have collected some useful information for LoongArch development.
12 > ## Trying out
13 >
14 > LoongArch hardware is probably hard to get outside of China, but usable QEMU
15 > linux-user emulation is available via patched qemu package in the
16 > loongson-overlay [1], so you can set up binfmt_misc and try out the stages
17 > just like with any other chroot. Freshly built stages can be downloaded from
18 > several mirrors (all hosted in China though), you can find the links on the
19 > project page.
22 > ## State of various fundamental packages
23 >
24 > Both binutils and gcc have the LoongArch support upstreamed, although
25 > binutils still needs some patching for now, for spec conformance. So we're
26 > basically only waiting for linux and glibc. The Linux port is likely 5.19
27 > material [2], and glibc should follow that; this means we're likely starting
28 > with Linux 5.19, binutils 2.38 (patched), gcc 12.1.0 and glibc 2.36.
31 > ## Roadmap update
32 >
33 > Now that I have verified everything with stage builds and installation on
34 > real Loongson 3A5000 hardware, I plan to first upstream the profiles and
35 > toolchain bits to ::gentoo. After that, I'll handle the keywording and
36 > porting/testing of packages for loong, just like any other arch; upstreaming
37 > the various patches one by one, while doing all these.
38 >
39 > As with all other arches, the project would need an email alias; because it's
40 > ARCH=loong, the alias should look like loong@g.o. An IRC channel would be nice
41 > but I doubt how many people would converse there -- we could probably do
42 > without one for now.
45 > I'll happily help if you are interested in this niche architecture; feel free
46 > to reach out via mail or IRC.
47
48 Well, I will gladly help with keywording and testing of packages if I
49 could have access to some devbox (as with all arch teams I'm on). I know
50 this is a *very* future talk, but just know that if we have a devbox
51 Gentoo developers can ssh into, quite fastly we join to help :)
52
53 For now let me just send you good luck - maintaining arches is quite fun
54 and fulfilling :)
57 > [1]: https://github.com/xen0n/loongson-overlay
58 > [2]: https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-arch/msg76936.html
59 >
60 > --
61 > WANG Xuerui
62 > xen0n@g.o
63 > Gentoo Linux developer
64 > PGP: 7C52 19E3 26A0 7311 3EA3 8806 C01F 7214 BC93 1414
69 Arthur Zamarin
70 arthurzam@g.o
71 Gentoo Linux developer (Python, GURU, Arch Teams)

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature