From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnome2 libtoolization
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 15:50:57
1 On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 15:18, Spider wrote:
2 > well,
3 > as the moment of release prances forward I'm looking at the current
4 > state of ebuilds.
5 >
6 > right now we libtoolize a lot of gnome 2 except the core parts that is
7 > glib atk gtk+ and pango, simply because they break with libtoolize...
8 > fun isn't it?
9 >
10 > Now, checking around a bit for libtoolize and asking some other gnome2
11 > packagers, I got this reference:
13 >
14 > odd.. isn't it?
15 >
16 > I vote for dropping libtoolize along with debug info in or around the
17 > 20th
18 >
19
20 Ok, this is a sticky problem. The reason Redhat/Mandrake and
21 now we libtoolize many packages, is because with the default
22 libtool as used by most things have a bug, which I refer to
23 as the "relink" bug. This is fixed by having a patched
24 version of libtool, and what libtoolize then basically do
25 is to install our patched version of libtool for the specific
26 package to user, thus fixing the bug.
27
28 A good example of the "relink" bug, is gdk-pixbuf. If not
29 libtoolized, if build for the first time on a system, none
30 of the loaders in /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf/loaders/ are installed.
31
32 Why this happens, are hard to explain, as I researched it
33 some time ago. The basic principal, is that because we
34 build it with "--prefix=/usr", and then install into
35 "prefix=${D}/usr", libtool thinks it should relink some
36 of the components. In the relinking, the "libdir" (defined
37 in the .la files) is defined as "/usr/lib...", and thus
38 the components/libraries do not get installed (if memory
39 serves).
40
41 Also, ${D} gets into .la files, and when the library of
42 that .la gets used, libtool tries to link in
43 ${D}/usr/lib/libfoo.so instead of /usr/lib/libfoo.so like
44 it should.
45
46 This all is fixed in our version of libtool after much
47 research and testing.
48
49 Now what I propose, is that if we do not libtoolize Gnome2,
50 then we should at least write an eclass that patches all
51 "ltmain.sh" 's with the relink patch, and with our own
52 libtool-portage patch.
53
54 Anyhow, comments and suggestions appreciated.
55
56 NB: BCC me if you reply.
57
58
59 Greetings,
60
61 --
62
63 Martin Schlemmer
64 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
65 Cape Town, South Africa