From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 22:49:00
1 On 2020.08.08 23:22, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > >
5 > > With the declared aim from upstream of making udev inseparable from
6 > > systemd, its not something to be done lightly.
7 > > That's the entire reason that eudev was necessary.
8 > >
9 > > I would want some convincing that it was not another step on the
10 > road
11 > > to Gentoo being assimilated by systemd.
12 >
13 > So, I really could care less what the default is since it won't impact
14 > any of my Gentoo hosts either way, ..
15 [snip]
16 >
17 > --
18 > Rich
21 Rich,
22
23 I don't have a dog in this fight. Being old and cynical, I have static /dev,
24 so I use neither.
25
26 I'm interested in what's changed since the Council decision [1] to make
27 eudev the default.
28
29 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/573922#c28
32 Regards,