From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: dev-python/* leaf packages
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 07:24:54
1 On Thu, 2019-12-05 at 03:56 +0100, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 2019-12-05 01:15, Aaron Bauman wrote:
5 > > * Removal in 30 days
6 >
7 > Why? I understand that Py2 will reach EOL upstream status but we all
8 > know that Py2 will *not* disappear and stop working in 26 days...
9 >
10 > There's no reason to mask/remove currently known working software.
13 Yes, there is. Not saying about any particular package out there but
14 the Python team is *overwhelmed*. We can't reasonably be expected to
15 maintain 1200+ packages, many of them requiring a lot of work.
16
17 It's easy to claim everything is all right without actually working
18 on it. Many of those packages may not pose problems in the next weeks.
19 Some of them probably already take part in the big 'target mishap' when
20 their dependencies dropped py2 support, and more will in the coming
21 weeks, months.
22
23 Now imagine that 500+ packages are depending on pytest that doesn't
24 support py2 anymore. And that number is probably far smaller than
25 reality because a lot of packages are bad quality and don't run tests
26 at all.
27
28 You people need to start thinking of terms of real benefit to users.
29 Keeping old, unmaintained, semi-broken packages has little benefit to
30 users. Quadruplicating maintenance burden effectively harms *active*
31 packages, and that is much more painful to users.
32
33 Do you think we'd be stuck with unmaintained Python 3.6 in stable if
34 people actively kicked stuff we can't maintain? Do you think we'd be
35 stuck with Python 3.7 packages being *unkeyworded* on almost all arches?
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny