From: "Tod M. Neidt" <tod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use-Flags cause XMMS, jed and other bloat
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:36:56
1 Hi!
2
3 On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 01:44, Nico Amtsberg wrote:
4 > Hello everyone !
5 >
6 > Here are a few of my thoughts about the portage system.
7 > Pehaps you can tell me if something will be changed to my needs and to that
8 > what I understand Gentoo wants to be as announced on their website.
9 >
10 > If I have the X-Flag set, which is okay because I want X, and try to emerge
11 > jed to have a good editor, Gentoo wants to compile the whole XFree-Package to
12 > also get xjed which I didn't want.
13
14 You can overide the global USE variable specified in /etc/make.conf for
15 specific ebuilds by pass a USE="<whatever> on the command line.
16
17 > It compiles X with all drivers - Sorcerer Linux asked, which X11-drivers are
18 > needed.
19 > Same with alsa - all card-drivers are made, I have to edit the ebuild-file and
20 > all changes will be gone after the next emerge rsync.
21
22 Actually, the alsa-0.9 driver ebuild has an easter egg for you to build
23 a specific driver (or a list of a subset of drivers) only, see the
24 alsa-driver-0.9.0_beta10.ebuild. Don't know if something similar could
25 be done with Xfree.
26
27 Regards,
28