From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] questions of semantics in ebuild.sh
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:55:38
1 On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 09:16, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 January 2004 08:02, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 27 January 2004 13:18, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > > > whole. Remember that Gentoo now also has support for binary packages,
5 > > > along with building straight from source. The pkg_ steps are common
6 > > > to both packages and source, whereas the src_ steps are for source
7 > > > builds only.
8 > >
9 > > Actually gentoo has supported binary packages since before I started
10 > > using it which is 2 years ago.
11 >
12 > that may be but chris is still right ... the src_ functions arent run when you
13 > emerge a binary package
14 > -mike
15
16 Basically my understanding is src_* should only affect things in
17 ${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}, while pkg_* modifies the live filesystem. As a
18 result, pkg_* is the only thing used for binaries, while both are used
19 for source builds.
20
21 Donnie