From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Dreaded herd tag
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:59:08
1 On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 11:09:53AM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 08:28 +0200, George Shapovalov wrote:
3 > > Wanna guess how many of those happen to be stale?
4 >
5 > I would suspect fewer than you think. As an example, I have a few
6 > packages which belong to no herd, but have me listed as maintainer.
7 > Many of the no-herd packages are the same. Not being grouped with other
8 > packages doesn't mean it is unmaintained.
9
10 I agree. All my rox stuff (rox-base/* and rox-extra/*) kind of
11 fits into many different herds. Or no herd. Or maybe its own
12 new herd.
13
14 > So this bears the question, what is the proper solution?
15 >
16 > Make <herd> optional?
17 > Force the maintainer's email into <herd> for packages without a herd?
18
19 Or force each maintainer of herdless packages to create their own
20 special herd. Which I may end up doing with my rox packages
21 anyway.
24 Jim Ramsay
25 Gentoo/Linux Developer (rox)