From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Building hardened gcc specs always, just not enabling them by default
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:50:00
1 Paweł Hajdan, Jr. posted on Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:58:57 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Third - can we forcefully disable hardened features in packages that are
4 > not compatible? My assumption is yes, and we should probably print a
5 > warning then.
6
7 If a warning is to be printed (and I agree that's a good idea), please
8 arrange for it to be disableable per-package (perhaps via environmental
9 variable setting, WARN_DISABLE_HARDENED or the like).
10
11 That way, either the PM can implement a package.hardened-warn or
12 whatever, or (for portage at least) the user can arrange for the same
13 effect via /etc/portage/env/*/* files.
14
15 The idea would be that the user can accumulate an easily checked list of
16 packages he knows about and doesn't want to be bothered by the hardened-
17 disable warnings for, while he still gets visible warnings for packages
18 not on that list (and thus presumably that he's not yet aware of) that
19 disable whatever hardening feature.
20
21 Or just make it a USE flag on the packages it applies to: hardened-warn
22 or the like, which use-defaults to ON.
23
24 Either way, an eclass to standardize things sounds very useful.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman