From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Solving the problem of huge number of wrong LICENSES=*GPL-[23]
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 07:44:27
1 On 28/08/2018 00:46, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > I can say that if the licenses are habitually misidentified, I could not use
3 > Gentoo's portage tree in my job without extensive and ongoing revalidation of
4 > the license metadata.
5 >
6 > There are, in fact, automated tools for advising about the license disposition
7 > of these types of things, examining source files for unfortunate edits and
8 > variants and flagging them, etc. It might be an interesting task at some point
9 > to point some of these tools at portage, look for incorrect metadata and file
10 > bug reports.
11 >
12 > Not suggesting this is a worthwhile approach up front, but it might be a
13 > useful tool in the future for dealing with license metadata quality as a
14 > chronic issue. (Which, in turn, is useful for commercial consumption and
15 > participation.)
16
17 Given the reality of how open source project works, I believe it's up to
18 people who care/need this most to do such work in Gentoo.
19
20 From what I see, nobody would be opposed to _someone_ making the
21 metadata more precise. On the other hand, I sense most people don't see
22 enough benefit to sign up for such work themselves - which I totally
23 understand.
24
25 Paweł