From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Matthew Walker <mwalker@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] MySQL 4 still marked unstable?
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:34:31
1 On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:16:36AM -0600, Matthew Walker wrote:
2 > As someone who has used MySQL 4 in a production environment on Gentoo since
3 > the official release was declared stable, I'm baffled why it hasn't been
4 > unmasked yet. It works beautifully, and is a seamless upgrade process. I'd
5 > really like to use it on my new production server at work, but I refuse to
6 > use any masked packages, to keep maintenance overhead to a minimum.
7 > Anyway... Is there a reason it's still masked?
8 Seeing the thread on this, I'd like to speak up with an answer, since I
9 do a lot of the maintance on MySQL and it's related ebuilds.
10
11 The upgrade ISN'T as seamless as we would like. Presently if you are
12 running MySQL-3 and you emerge MySQL-4, there is an instruction telling
13 you to rebuild everything that links against MySQL.
14
15 We have had a LARGE number of bugs submitted because people didn't read
16 the instruction to rebuild their system and then all complained about
17 stuff being broken.
18
19 As such, we are waiting for a decent script or better reverse
20 dependancies in portage to release it to stable. Such a script is
21 showstopper for the 1.4 release so it will be done. The same problem
22 exists with a number of other packages.
25 Robin Hugh Johnson
26 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
27 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
28 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
29 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85