From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: heroxbd@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: OpenRC network provides revisited
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 23:49:42
1 On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 07:40:43AM +0900, heroxbd@g.o wrote:
2 > Besides, IMHO, we should avoid changing OpenRC's default dependency too
3 > often. The solution for one user can be received as a regression to
4 > others.
5 >
6 > People file bugs saying "it worked for OpenRC-0.9 but not 0.10". For
7 > devs, we know we just changed default value of something perfectly
8 > configurable. But for that user, it is quite discouraging to feel
9 > "something in OpenRC is still unstable".
10
11 Another thing to consider is, do the services we say "need net" really
12 _NEED_ net?
13
14 If a service is a listener like sshd that isn't bound to a specific
15 address by default and can deal with interfaces going up and down, I
16 would guess that it doesn't. I am thinking that we can set up the
17 depends for sshd as follows:
18
19 use net
20 after net
21
22 That would make sure a net provider runs before sshd if one is
23 in the runlevel, but allow sshd to start if one is not as well.
24
25 This would have to be tested on a case-by-case basis.
26
27 About changing default values, I think that if we have a good reason to
28 change them, we should inform users and change them.
29
30 I think the advantage here is that it makes openrc run out of the box in
31 more situations.
32
33 William