From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:41:00
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 >On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:39:24 +0100 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
4 >| Uhm... emerge sync is a *bad* time to display upgrade messages, it's
5 >| simply irrelevant at that time, I'm not upgrading anything at the
6 >| moment and might not be upgrading for next week or so.
7 >
8 >It doesn't display the messages. It displays a note saying "you have
9 >unread news items".
10 >
11 >| The messages should be displayed when I'm about to upgrade an ebuild
12 >| which has an upgrade note associated with the new version. Sending
13 >| mail via cron might be a nice optional feature for those who want to
14 >| use it.
15 >
16 >Not really a good idea, a) because news items aren't tied directly to
17 >ebuilds, and b) because people like advance warning of "when you
18 >upgrade Apache, all hell will break loose!" rather than having it
19 >sprung on them suddenly when they're trying to do a quick update.
20 >Getting the news item in advance allows for planning.
24 Personally, I'm for both. E-mailing cron output is a relatively simple
25 operation. Adding a red flashy deal to emerge saying hey, package X has
26 an unread news item, also simple as long as the read/unread format is
27 non-complex. Having emerge --news, I dislike emmensely. We have emerge
28 --changelog, and contrary to what someone posted above, it shows up
29 whenever you specify -l. However changelog does have it's fair share of
30 problems, mostly people who don't use the correct changelog format and
31 break the tagging, causing -l to display nothing.
32
33 If you want to make a seperate program to read the news, go for it. I
34 don't see why we have to stick silly things in a core utility. emerge
35 is a package manager, it does not do your laundry too.
36
37 -Alec Warner (Antarus)
38 --
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list