From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 00:59:54
1 On 03/02/17 02:37 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 02/03/2017 10:30 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 >>
4 >> ok you lost me. Could you provide an explicit example of what you
5 >> would want to see enabled in the profile (while everything else is
6 >> disabled) that you don't get when USE="-*" is set?
7 >
8 > USE="hardened pax_kernel ..."
11 ok, so global flags that are never modified via IUSE defaults. It
12 still looks to me like all you need to do to get what you want is swap
13 the order of 'conf' and 'defaults' in USE_ORDER? (man make.conf)
16 > I don't want to turn off all IUSE defaults. Since we have no policy on
17 > what IUSE defaults should be used for, half of them are important, and
18 > the other half are junk. I don't want to disable the ones that are
19 > critical for the package to function, and I don't want to disable the
20 > ones that satisfy an (otherwise unsatisfied) REQUIRED_USE constraint.
23 And herein lies the crux. "Junk" is your definition, but it's not
24 necessarily the maintainer's definition. "Critical for the package to
25 function" is entirely dependent on what you expect to use the package
26 for. If you want to disable everything optional then USE="-*" will do
27 that, and really all you should be losing is the ability to have
28 REQUIRED_USE auto-resolve based on the IUSE defaults that are set.
29 However, even in that case, it seems likely that you may well want to
30 use a different option to resolve a REQUIRED_USE conflict to ensure
31 your minimalist install than is the default that the maintainer provided.