From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Bugday
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:40:11
1 On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:00:44 +0100
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > Pavlos Ratis wrote:
5 > > Unfortunately I didn't have much time to 'refresh' the website. As
6 > > Theo said, he gave me the code of the site but I think it would be
7 > > great to have something new. If anyone wants to join, ping me on
8 > > irc. We could create a new repo at our Github and start developing.
9 >
10 > Don't start developing, plz work on bugs instead.
13 > //Peter
16 Then who will develop useful tools to handle bugs more efficiently?
17
18 While we're at this topic; I could use a duplicate finder for bug
19 wrangling to spare other devs from coming across the same bug again,
20 also a build log parser that only show the relevant bits that matter
21 so I don't have to waste time grepping for keywords that appear in
22 file names as well, not to forget about compressed build logs, and for
23 assigning bugs an integrated herds.xml lookup would be pretty useful...
24
25 Using these tools I could process bugs in half the time; and those are
26 mostly just tools on the bug wrangling side, the dev and ebuild side
27 could also use some more tools. If nobody wrote tools, we wouldn't have
28 Bugzilla, Mailing List Daemons and Portage; back in the old days...
29
30 Also, your response is quite funny if you consider his sole two bugs
31 are one low priority bug that's 3 years old and has been reassigned a
32 few times because it's not worth fixing (aka "not an actual problem"),
33 the other one is actually for a tool called "recruiting.gentoo.org".
34
35 I'd rather see this dev continue developing than wasting time on bugs,
36 this reminds me that I should do some short term development myself
37 instead of wasting a lot of time long term; even if I don't end up
38 benefiting of the cost, any person that follows my footsteps will.
41 With kind regards,
42
43 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
44 Gentoo Developer
45
46 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
47 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
48 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D