From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4.1 and GRP
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:55:20
1 Greetings all,
2
3 A concern of mine about many Linux distributions is that in the long
4 haul between binary releases of a distribution, the packages included
5 with the release can become quite old. In Gentoo's case, if one GRP
6 installed their system nine months from now and emerge -u'd, they would
7 be faced with a considerable number of packages to update (I wouldn't be
8 surprised if it was all of them).
9
10 The Gentoo 1.4.1 release re-ignited my curiosity on this topic. Will
11 there be regular interim releases between major upgrades, or will
12 releases like these solely fix bugs?
13
14 If the latter, can a GRP ISO be created say, every two months? This
15 would only add ~500MB per architecture involved, since there wouldn't be
16 any need to archive the older versions of the ISO.
17
18 Realising that Gentoo is of course a source-based distribution, quickly
19 and easily installing the latest and greatest by using emerge -k, then
20 optimizing by rebuilding incrementally has surely sparked a great deal
21 of additional interest in the distribution.
22
23 What does everyone think?
24
25 Brad