From: Wilbert van Bakel <wilbertnl@×××××××××.net>
To: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Request for testing
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:33:33
1 Hello Seemant,
2
3 In the IT, testing is an appreciated skill like development,
4 implementation or project management.
5 When I read your request, then it sounds to me like: "Guys and Girls:
6 unmask and emerge this, and report problems to us".
7
8 One rule in the world of testers is: "The fact that no bug shows up,
9 doesn't mean that the software is bugfree."
10 Why I'm writing this is, because I feel that testing is an important
11 part of the development/implementation process and some procedure needs
12 to be in place.
13 What are we testing? What are the guide lines? Which quality level do we
14 want to reach? Which USE flags do you want to include in the test? Which
15 compiler?
16 Does Gentoo approve an update when software is emerging without
17 problems, or when software is known to be productive without problems?
18
19 And... How do we report bugs, which information is actually useful? And
20 do we report succesful installations too?
21
22 Just some questions, Seemant,
23 Wilbert van Bakel
24
25 Seemant Kulleen wrote:
26
27 >Hi All,
28 >
29 >As subscribers to this list, I'd reckon a lot of you would like to help
30 >out testing some of the masked stuff. The list of stuff "masked for
31 >testing" in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask grows daily, and we have a
32 >dire need for userland testers. So, if some of you brave souls would care
33 >to test and report bugs, that would be EXCEEDINGLY helpful, and the
34 >development team would be equally as grateful. Things which need testing
35 >are:
36 >
37 >sh-utils
38 >bison
39 >util-linux
40 >zsh
41 >xine
42 >mplayer
43 >vlc
44 >pinepgp
45 >
46 >and there are some KDE apps as well, I think.
47 >
48 >Thanks,
55 Wilbert van Bakel
57 wilbertnl@×××××××××.net