From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [LARGE MESSAGE] Media-sound reorganization!
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:41:09
1 On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:28:52 +0100 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > On Sunday 07 November 2004 15:47, Aron Griffis wrote:
4 | > > George Shapovalov wrote: [Sun Nov 07 2004, 05:12:02PM EST]
5 | > > I don't see how multi-tier categories makes things more findable
6 | > > personally. IMHO it just makes things more buried. I like the
7 | > > two-tier approach we have now:
8 | >
9 | > Some recent philosophical, err :), psychological studies concluded
10 | > that person normally deals best with 7-9 objects simultaneously.
11 | > Less than that and you have to make your "chain of command"
12 | > unnecessarily deep. More than that and you start spending more time
13 | > searching around or trying to remember what every one of these these
14 | > is about. (Don't remember where I saw it now; my wife is a
15 | > psychologist, that's most likely where :)).
16 |
17 | It's not really new ;-), and is one of the basic properties of
18 | cognition (so basic it's part of any good Human Computer Interaction
19 | course). It is actually similar with numbers. Without tricks an
20 | average person can not remember more than 7 digits (without using
21 | tricks to remember things with a hint).
22
23 That is, 7 *unrelated* digits. If you ask someone (even a psych student)
24 to remember the sequence 123456789123456789 they probably won't have any
25 problems...
26
27 [ Yeah, ok, I'm just bitter because I have an HCI essay which covers
28 this kind of nonsense to write despite it being a computer *science*
29 course... ]
32 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
33 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
34 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm