From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 19:21:49
1 On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:33:05 -0800
3 > ""Paweł Hajdan, Jr."" <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Why not allow maintainers to drop redundant stable and even ~arch
6 >> keywords from their packages?
7 >
8 > This is standard practice already.
9
10 If there is still pain then maybe we need to re-communicate this, or clarify.
11
12 To me if a package is in the tree and is outdated, but kept for only
13 the benefit of a few lagging archs, then maintainers can close bugs as
14 WONTFIX if they don't pertain to newer versions. If that is the case
15 then there is no cost to keeping the old packages around.
16
17 The main concern is around maintenance burden. The only way to reduce
18 maintenance burden is to do less maintenance (I haven't heard any
19 suggestions that will somehow make bugs go away). If maintainers are
20 doing more maintenance than they are required to do, then simply
21 reinforcing existing policy could solve the problem. We just need to
22 align around expectations.
23
24 Rich