From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:18:27
1 On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 17:48 +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > The time it takes to actually apply fixes etc. is another point.
3
4 This is where I'd respectfully disagree.
5
6 > Bugzilla is a poor system for sharing and managing the flow of
7 > ebuilds and patches. It would be nice if there were a way for non-devs
8 > to publish ebuilds/fixes using a VCS so that they could be shared and
9 > easily pulled and applied to the main tree. It takes too long to
10 > browse bugzilla, find bugs, find ebuilds and patches, download them,
11 > copy to an overlay, fix digests, emerge, etc. and most users will
12 > figure it's not worth the hassle.
13
14 You mean all of the things that developers have to do, right? Funny,
15 but I thought the idea for the overlays was to groom developers, not to
16 provide low-quality half-working ebuilds to users.
17
18 Perhaps if we had a bug-tracking system that integrated better with a
19 version control system, allowing for easier access to the
20 ebuilds/patches/etc within a bug report, yet without providing a "free
21 for all" as the current project suggests? I really don't know what kind
22 of solution would be proper for this, but I do know that the current
23 idea of an overlay for the entire tree is not something that should be
24 taken lightly and definitely not something that should *ever* be done
25 without discussion.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
30 x86 Architecture Team