From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:51:06
1 On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 09:49:04PM -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > [ snip ]
4 > > 9) Otherwise, at very minimum, they're failing the "build udev pretty
5 > > much the same as before"
6 >
7 > ./configure
8 > make
9 > make install
10 >
11 > You fail to see the matter from their POV. They don't care (that much)
12 > about building, because the distributions they care about use binary
13 > prebuilt packages. In that sense, "build udev pretty much the same as
14 > before" is the holly trinity of "./configure; make; make install".
15 > Otherwise the part about "package only what is necessary" has not that
16 > much sense.
17 >
18 > Which again leads to the "please, add a virtual/udev" so the people
19 > using systemd don't need to built udev twice.
20
21 Unless we add sys-apps/systemd to virtual/dev-manager.
22 If we do that I don't see a need for virtual/udev.
23
24 Also, I don't see how systemd users are building udev twice as it
25 currently stands.
26
27 William