From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changelogs
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:04:51
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Jason Stubbs wrote:
5 > On Wednesday 27 July 2005 11:05, Alec Warner wrote:
6 >
7 >>Recent discussion on this ML and on the portage-ml as well as
8 >>#gentoo-portage regarding pkg_warn() and the basic concept behind it.
9 >>We talked about adding new functionality, about adding a warning section
10 >>to the ebuild or to the metadata. However. all of these tend to have
11 >>problems. The dev won't write the extra function, duplication of data
12 >>in pkg_{post/pre}inst, mangling of metadata.xml.
15 > Quicker closer than me! ;)
18 >>Portage current features the -l switch, to show changelogs. It works
19 >>pretty well to show changes in packages prior to emerging. For example,
20 >>emerge -uDpvl world -> shows what will emerge then shows the changelogs
21 >>for each package. For a very large set of packages the output can be
22 >>overwhelming, however all the changelogs are provided and the user at
23 >>least has data to parse through.
26 > "The dev won't write the extra function"
27 > Same problem, no?
28 >
29 > Not sure what you meant by "duplication of data" or "mangling of metadata.xml"
30 > but I still don't see why pkg_warn() can't work. Those that are writing stuff
31 > in pkg_postinst() presently can use pkg_warn() and feel warm and fuzzy knowing
32 > that more people are making use of the information. Those that don't make use
33 > of it? No different to not making use of pkg_postinst().
34 >
35 > If you could explain what you meant by the other two listed issues?
38 In hindsight, arguing over almost two different things. We both agree
39 that upgrade paths for changes that break the system are good, and that
40 information regarding the upgrade path *SHOULD* be provided in some
41 manner. Some developers think that providing detailed instructions in
42 pkg_postinst() is good, others will direct you to a website ( usually
43 UPSTREAM's webpage ) which has the instructions; it saves them time.
44 Which is correct, or are both?
45
46 In the latter case all that is really needed is some sort of switch (
47 NOT a use flag ) that says this package causes problems, look at
48 UPSTREAMS webpage for migration information. I am not particularly in
49 favor of that, but it's simple for a developer to do, and it's simple
50 for me to check out a potential 4 or 5 packages in a given upgrade to
51 figure out what I have to do.
52
53 In the former case where more specific information is provided to the
54 user by portage you generally want a more complex system. You want the
55
56 "<warn from="2.6.4:2[baduse]" to="2.7[-baduse]">You enabled baduse?
57 Removing it will rm -rf /!</warn>" syntax ( from our conversation last
58 night ) which is decidedly more complex to write and more complex to parse,
59
60 Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I doubt it will get used by enough
61 people to be useful.
62
81 --
82 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list