From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Long Time No See
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 12:10:56
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 07:52:24PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > : "Jerry A!" wrote:
5 > :
6 > : > Also, how hard is is now to rebuild and update the base stuff
7 > : > (for example, I'd like to compile all the base stuff with i686
8 > : > optimizations and drop them on top of the defaults)?
9 > :
10 > : Do you want to updated your running system? That can cause problems.
11 > : It was announced here that manny apps segfaulted after upgrading glibc
12 > : to version 2.2.2.
13 > :
14 > : You can build a new system with your prefered host and cflag settings
15 > : with the build.tbz2. I can give you a short intro if you are not
16 > : familar with the concept behind build.
17 >
18 > I'd like to take it into the bleeding edge envrionment, but I'll lay off
19 > upgrading to glibc 2.2.2. Ideally, what I want is to make build.tbz2
20 > with my preferred host and cflag settings or install off the current
21 > iso, and rebuild the base system with my host and cflags settings and
22 > just reinstall those rebuilt packages ontop of the existing ones.
23 >
24 > >From there, I can figure out which packages I want to upgrade to the
25 > latest versions.
26 >
27 > Either way, I'll need some pointers. What's the best way to go about
28 > this in your opinion (install and build, or new build.tbz2)? And I'll
29 > need pointers on making a build.tbz2 if that's the case.
30
31 Ok, build.tbz2 contains
32 glibc-2.2.2/gcc-2.95.3/binutils-2.10.91.0.2/spython/portage and some
33 other
34 packages that are required for a compile environment. It requires 55MB
35 at the moment.
36 The idea is to unpack it to a new partition or a subdir. Then you mount
37 your portage tree on that locations usr/portage dir (hope you have the
38 portage tree on a separate partition). Then you can edit the make.conf
39 settings and chroot to the build environment. Now you can start building
40 everything from scratch. First you
41 must merge gettext which is required for native language support by the
42 following packages. Next you can build
43 and merge binutils and gcc for your host settings. Now you can build and
44 merge glibc. After that you must merge
45 flex because the package in the build system does not contains libfl and
46 some headers. Since there are no other libs in the build tarball as the
47 ones from glibc and flex you can now be sure that everything is linked
48 agains
49 the new build libs.
50
51 But in your situation it may cause problems that you do not use
52 glibc-2.2.2 (what glibc are you using?)
53
54 achim~
55 >
56 > As always, thanks in advance...
57 >
58 > --Jerry
59 >
60 > name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
61 > phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
62 > email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
63 > || than that!
66 > gentoo-dev mailing list
67 > gentoo-dev@g.o