From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] minimalistic emerge
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 19:34:43
1 Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > dependencies are forward specifications from upstream telling
3 > us what their software needs to function properly.
4
5 Unfortunately that's not the full story. :\
6
7 ebuilds often (for me) have artificial dependencies, when the actual
8 version required is too old to be in the tree, but maybe not too old
9 to be installed on an existing system.
10
11 I think it's bad policy to lie about dependencies in ebuilds for the
12 sole reason of only ever depending on versions which actually exist
13 in the same snapshot. It's a too simplistic model of reality.
16 //Peter