From: Christian Heim <phreak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Last rites for net-wireless/ipw2100 and net-wireless/ipw2200
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 23:46:53
1 Heya,
2
3 net-wireless/ipw2100 and net-wireless/ipw2200 are both kernel drivers built as
4 an external package through portage. The codebase currently in portage is the
5 same that is present in any up-to-date kernel tarball (2.6.x).
6
7 For this reason I am suggesting, everyone migrates to the in-kernel drivers.
8
9 They can be found here:
10
11 Networking --->
12 Network device support --->
13 [*] Network device support
14 Wireless LAN (non-hamradio) --->
15 [*] Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless Extensions
16 <M> Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection
17 <M> Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and 2915ABG Network Connection
18
19 These will also enable the in-kernel version of the ieee80211 driver.
20
21 As per summary, both packages are going to get punted from the tree. Both will
22 vanish around sometime next January (I'd say 30 days from today - which makes
23 it 21th January 2007).
24
25 And to leave those of you, who already use the in-kernel driver relaxed, the
26 firmware images are not going to get removed as they are still needed for the
27 in-kernel drivers.
30 Christian Heim <phreak at gentoo.org>
31 GPG key ID: 9A9F68E6
32 Fingerprint: AEC4 87B8 32B8 4922 B3A9 DF79 CAE3 556F 9A9F 68E6