From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.1 will not include a secure portage.
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:03:48
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Wednesday 24 March 2004 15:16, Jesse Nelson wrote:
5 >
6 > um per package security with multiple sigs definatly prevents a
7 > single dev or dev key from compromising integrity. Asuming that
8 > ememger on sync or on build is forced to check for multiple sigs, and
9 > then yell/scream if somthing only has one or none etc. Of course that
10 > would have to be somthing settable in make.conf etc. This does not
11 > however solve the event of a malicious comspiracy.
12
13 I totally agree with you that multiple signatures are better. It is also
14 however impossible to implement this within any realistic timeframe. I
15 believe it is better to first use the allready existing single signing
16 infrastructure and enhance it as time goes.
17
18 > well part of gettin your dev key into the keyring in the firsplace
19 > would require that you go through some sort of verification. this is
20 > true weather or not your issuing certs or gpg keys, and the persons
21 > pasphrase is what is verify weather or not he/she is who they say they
22 > are, unless you propose sending biometric devices to every dev i don't
23 > see how you can do this with any more confidence any other way. Debian
24 > has a nice process for gpg key submittals:
25 > http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step2
26
27 It will be very hard to verify the names of all devs. It is also not
28 needed. A dev is chosen because he/she shows qualities. This developer
29 is identified based on his email address and/or IRC nick. It is quite
30 hard to forge that you are this person if you are not actually him. It
31 would require you to monitor multichannel communication on such a level
32 that you would be equally capable in gentoo development.
33
34 > well you can have a list of valid sigs for a particular package.
35 > defining whose allowed to sign a that "package", but really your
36 > asking for some ACL's here related to users and whatnot. which should
37 > be enforced in your rcs not really by your signing system IMHO.
38
39 We have just had the discussion for ACL's on CVS and decided not to do
40 this. This means that package level access lists is also out of the
41 question as it does the same.
42
43 > actually p2p distribution in combination with multiple sigs lend to
44 > each other quite well. Once a file or set of files is signed by 3
45 > parties @ those sigs are part of your installed gentoo keyring (and
46 > verifiable outside that). you can have pretty high confidence that
47 > what your pulling from joe users box is prsitine (pristine being what
48 > the gentoo devs had released/signed etc).
49
50 I don't see how using p2p instead of rsync for small files such as
51 ebuilds makes any sense. Searching the file probably takes more time
52 than just using rsync. Of course in p2p you need to have guarantees that
53 what you receive is what you intended to receive, but what we need is
54 different than p2p and a p2p architecture is not necessary suitable for
55 us.
56
57 Paul
58