From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:12:33
1 On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 17:22, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > As for "fixing this", see the oft-linked webpage as to why it can't be
3 > fixed easily, if at all, and honestly, I don't think it needs to be
4 > fixed.
5
6 What's wrong with:
7 * having an "early mounts" list file
8 * having an "early modules" list file
9 * init system in early boot (e.g., OpenRC in init.sh) loading "early
10 modules" and mounting "early mounts" from /etc/fstab
11
12 This will solve the issue with most non-complex (i.e., no raid or
13 encryption) initramfs-less setups, without requiring that users
14 migrate to initramfs (e.g., after dealing with genkernel-generated
15 scripts for a long time, I wouldn't touch it with a pointed stick
16 anymore). The relevant files can be also generated automatically
17 during an upgrade (empty "early modules" and empty or /usr-only "early
18 mounts", depending on /etc/fstab contents).
21 Maxim Kammerer
22 Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)