From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News Item: Portage Dynamic Deps
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 13:11:05
1 On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 7:40 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 01/22/2018 09:28 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 >> Am Montag, 22. Januar 2018, 08:01:08 CET schrieb Zac Medico:
4 >>>
5 >>> According to Gentoo policy, future ebuild dependency changes need to be
6 >>> accompanied by a revision bump in order to trigger rebuilds for users.
7 >>> Therefore, you should only need to use --changed-deps=y for a single
8 >>> deep @world update. After that, if you encounter installed packages with
9 >>> outdated dependencies in a future deep @world update, then you should
10 >>> report it as a bug.
11 >>
12 >> Did you come up with a solution how to handle eclass-generated dependency
13 >> changes then?
14 >
15 > No.
16 >
17 > Bug #641346 was filed for clarification about this, but it just got
18 > closed without answering the question or consulting anyone.
19
20 From the bug: "I don't see the need for anything further before the
21 default behavior can be changed in portage, I'm all for it matching
22 PMS behavior." (More details in the comment.)
23
24 The question was "I would like to ask Council to state more precisely
25 what needs to be specifically documented before we can stop enabling
26 dynamic-deps in Portage by default."
27
28 So, the answer to the question appears to be "nothing."
29
30 That might not be an answer that you like, but it is an answer. I
31 can't vouch for who was or wasn't consulted before it was given.
34 Rich