From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding CPUFLAGS USE_EXPAND variable to the profiles
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:33:00
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Assuming that x86 and amd64 both support foo and bar, and that the baz
3 > app supports both on x86 and only foo on amd64:
4
5 the app would ignore foo by itself and usually people are working on
6 having their tailored x86 code in shape for amd64 (using some tricks as
7 usual...)
8
9 I feel afraid since we are spending lot of time assuming our users don't
10 have a clue about what they bought or that they cannot document
11 themselves as they should for picking the right cpu/tune for the CFLAGS...
12
13 Diego's proposal could be nice for remove some options and prevent the
14 burden of keeping a long list of useflag due the Intel vs Amd war on the
15 extensions, sadly I think was pointed that isn't a complete solution and
16 many would be unhappy about it.
17 Having a USE_EXPAND for the cpu feats could a little improvement if we
18 expect sse99 or 5dnowultra appear within the year since we could stuff
19 all this cruft in a single place and have a separate use.desc for them.
20
21 I hope I'm not too tired and I didn't miss something ^^
22
23 lu
27 Luca Barbato
28