From: Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dependences
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:18:53
1 On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 06:13 +0900, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > maillog: 18/07/2004-20:51:32(+0000): omestre types
3 > >
4 > > Thanks very much for all answers. But i can't
5 > > extract the informations that i need. I have
6 > > these informations for debian, fedora and slackware(maybe)...
7 > > I will try out SuSe... but i don't have time to spend in
8 > > this task. If somebody that have more skill than me in gentoo,
9 > > please.. all i need is a screenshot of minimum dependences for
10 > > each package in a specific gentoo installation ( more or less 500
11 > > packages).
12 > > I have tryed:
13 > > qpkg --installed | xargs emerge --pretend --emptytree
14 >
15 > This will make one long and hard to parse list. Better make a script that will
16 > produce the output you need for a *single* package. Then call that script for
17 > every package on your system. And instead of using qpkg, use the database
18 > directly, it is easier.
19 >
20 > cd /var/db/pkg
21 > mkdir /tmp/dummy
22 > for pkg in */*; do
23 > echo "emerge $pkg"
24 > env USE="-*" ROOT="/tmp/dummy" emerge --pretend --emptytree =$pkg
25 > done | tee /tmp/log-that-needs-to-be-parsed
26 >
27 > > But the USE flags were the problem. USE="", USE="-*". I did
28 > > puts theses flags before xargs, before emerge (in a script), in
29 > > /etc/make.conf... and nothing.
30 >
31 > Not sure what you mean by "nothing". Maybe it is due to the fact that:
32 >
33 > qpkg --installed | tail -n 2
34 > x11-wm/metacity *
35 > x11-wm/windowmaker *
36 >
37 > I don't like the asterisks, and I don't like the color. If you really
38 > insist on using "qpkg", don't forget to add "--no-color". And you will not be
39 > able to find the dependencies for gtk-1.2 this way. Also, if you use "xargs",
40 > add "-n 1" as a parameter, or you will get the combined compile and run-time
41 > dependencies for all (or at least a sufficiently large number of) packages that
42 > get piped to xargs. And since you said you're interested in run-time
43 > dependencies only, you'd better set ROOT to something, and "grep $ROOT" the
44 > output to find the deps you need.
45 >
46 > > I know that is a skills question...
47 > > not a gentoo problem, but as i sad before: I don't have time.
48 >
49 > You don't have time to research the topic of your paper? That's a bold thing to
50 > say.
51 >
52 > And one last request: if an e-mail says Mail-Followup-To: in the headers, make
53 > sure you don't send your reply to anyone who is not in that list. In other
54 > words, don't CC me your replies. I read the list.
57 I've followed this thread and wouldn't normally reply to emails on
58 gentoo-dev, but thought that it may be worth adding that there is a
59 great script for tracking deps and rev-deps on the forums that I have
60 had much success with. It's available at
61 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=142475
62 and could probably be butchered into providing exactly what is required
63 here.
66 Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>