From: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Maintainership and commit policy
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 16:14:58
1 Sounds like the Mandrake system and it seems to work for them.
2
3 On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 07:16:40PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
4 > AFAIK, we could manage the entire thing via cvs - no incoming dir, no
5 > commit-request emails.
6 >
7 > We would have several 'trees' in cvs: stable, unstable (=devel), external
8 > (any better names?), incoming (=user-submitted), trees for past releases
9 > which could get bugfixes, etc.
10 >
11 > A developer who wanted to change another developer's ebuild would have to
12 > commit a new revision of that ebuild to the 'external' tree. (That's what
13 > he'd have permissions to do.) The maintaining developer could then look over
14 > his changes (and the commit log message), and if he accepted them, merge the
15 > changes into his main devel tree. Once in there, the changes needed to be
16 > proven stable and good (like the maintainer's own work) and would then be
17 > merged into the stable tree. Non-developers who did 'emere rsync' could only
18 > get things from the stable tree.
19 >
20 > A similar procedure wuold be used for 'incoming' user ebuilds, with another
21 > cvs tree.
22 >
23 > What do you think?