From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Project proposal -- maintainer-wanted
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 23:35:27
1 On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 19:24 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On 2009.05.14 01:32, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
6 > > Hello,
7 > >
8 > [snip]
9 >
10 > > Project maintainer-wanted
11 > > =========================
12 > >
13 > > Abstract:
14 > > There are currently quite some package requests (over 3000)
15 > > languishing
16 > > on bugzilla waiting for a developer or team to get interested and
17 > > package it in the official gentoo-x86 portage tree. However in quite
18 > > some cases that might not happen for quite a while even with very
19 > > popular packages desired by users. The purpose of the
20 > > maintainer-wanted
21 > > project is to get as many of such packages to the official tree as
22 > > possible as a stopgap solution.
23 > >
24 > [snip]
25 > >
26 > > Discuss! :)
27 > >
28 > > Mart Raudsepp
29 > > Gentoo Developer
30 > > Mail: leio@g.o
31 > > Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio
34 > Mart,
35 >
36 > I'm against for many of the reasons AllanJB outlined. There is no point
37 > in adding more unmaintained packages to the tree. Over time, the
38 > average quality of the tree will suffer.
39
40 I have not proposed adding unmaintained packages to the tree. I have
41 proposed adding packages to the tree that are maintained. The
42 maintainer-wanted team maintains them actively until a specific team is
43 interested in taking over.
44 Based on other replies to the thread, it seems no-one believes that a
45 special team could add only so many packages that they are capable of
46 maintaining in good quality.
47 Also it has been brought up many times that if there is a popular
48 package not yet in the tree, there will be someone to add and maintain
49 it. But that doesn't seem to be the case when looking at existing
50 maintainer-wanted bugs. Also by having a team for this, the whole team
51 is accountable. If a maintainer-wanted ebuild is added by this team, it
52 is done as a team - if the person in the team most interested in it is
53 busy otherwise, the team will still take care of its bugs and quality
54 and bumps.
55
56 > We could use user contributed ebuilds attached to bugs as a way to
57 > bring Sunrise to the contributors attention just by posting a comment
58 > to the bug. If the contributor follows up, we get another user
59 > maintained ebuild in Sunrise, which is good, as the current developers
60 > don't have to do all the work. We already know some Sunrise
61 > contributors become developers so perhaps we can use this as a way to
62 > attract more contributors (both users and developers).
63
64 Meanwhile there is no-one to add packages that are wanted by many users
65 to the official tree. This project is meant as a remedy for that. The
66 proposal also lists various ways for actually finding out what packages
67 are the ones most beneficial to have in the official tree - as opposed
68 to unknown quality attachment in bugzilla, sunrise overlay, other
69 overlays or requests in bug entries without an attached ebuild - as to
70 be able to inflict as much good for the distribution as possible, given
71 the teams current capacity.
75 Mart Raudsepp
76 Gentoo Developer
77 Mail: leio@g.o