From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing SHA512 hash from Manifests
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:28:59
1 Hi,
2
3 > Back during the 2017 discussion, Infra came to the conclusion that we're
4 > going to keep SHA512 for a transition period, then remove it, and stay
5 > with a single hash algorithm. In my opinion, we have kept it long
6 > enough.
7 >
8 > WDYT?
9
10 As far I remember we agreed to keep two different hashes.
11 The idea is, that if one hash is no longer safe to use, we still have a
12 short period for migration.
13
14 If we use only one hash, gentoo is vulnarable to "sudden problems". The
15 everyday news show us, that broken implementations are possible and that
16 this scenario is likely to happen over the years.
17
18 The benefit of removing the second hash is negligible.
19 So we should keep two different hashes.
22 Best,
23 Jonas