From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: "Gentoo Dev." <gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using gentoo-announce for more routine decision/ebuild announcements
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 15:33:07
1 sön 2001-10-28 klockan 17.24 skrev Dan Armak:
2 > Hi all,
3
4 Hi!
5
6 Sorry for the late response, I've been really busy at work so I've been
7 lagging on my Gentoo-email reading, trying to fix that now :)
8
9 > The gentoo-announce list currently gets a message in a month or two. IMHO
10 > it's not very useful that way. Why not open it for all developers to send
11 > announcements of medium and high importance?
12
13 I think this is a good idea.
14
15 > This can include various decisions - unified ebuild style, install -> /usr,
16 > etc. and announcements of important/interesting new ebuilds and major new
17 > versions of existing ones.
18
19 However I don't agree with you here. IMHO gentoo-announce should be for
20 _users_, Gentoo-dev is for posting such things as "unified ebuild
21 style".
22
23 install -> /usr should defenatly be at gentoo-announce.
24
25 > I for one am tired of reading the cvs logs, and as Azarah says, most of us
26 > aren't on IRC 24/7 and can't follow all the discussions that take place.
27
28 Hmm .. I think that all developers should read the cvs logs, it takes
29 about 2 minutes each day to read. I you haven't subscribe to the
30 cvs-list and you'll get a mail with all changes every day.
31
32 > In my view the optimal volume would be around 1 message per day, sometimes 2,
33 > with the messages being short and succint and any discussions taking place on
34 > a different list (gentoo-dev, -user, or the team lists).
35
36 I'd think that 1 mail/day to gentoo-announce would be far to much. This
37 should be a list for people interested in gentoo or users that don't
38 want to follow the discussions, just the decissions.
39
40 > What do you think?
41
42 I would very much like to see this happend.
43
44 Regards,
45 Mikael Hallendal
49 Mikael Hallendal
50 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
51 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden