From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Services and software which is critical for Gentoo should be developed/run in Gentoo namespace
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 02:18:30
1 On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 07:11:12 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I realize this is a bit more tangential. I just think that infra is
5 > already a huge failure point, so having more stuff on infra actually
6 > makes that failure point more critical. A Gentoo where little is
7 > hosted on stuff we own is much more resilient in the face of
8 > legal/money/etc issues. If Gentoo just becomes some blessed config
9 > files, a website, and SAML then anybody could host the core from their
10 > basement.
11
12 I agree on the "infra is a big SPOF", just to me, and my experience,
13 "single developers" are a much larger/more volatile SPOF.
14
15 Like, I can't even keep my own stuff running, so I'm using myself as an
16 example.
17
18 But I know too many people who fall into this camp.
19
20 Individuals are much less likely to have the finances and ability to,
21 not only delegate others to work on their platforms, but are unlikely
22 to have the delegation itself delegated.
23
24 So as fragile as gentoo infra is, ... its still less fragile in the
25 long term view of things than random 3rd parties.
26
27 ( This is where we cry about the loss of the original gentoo wiki, and
28 how long it took us to replace it, where I'd imagine if it had started
29 out with the full backing of gentoo infra, we'd have lost much less,
30 and we'd have not lost so much of our google juice and 'fountain of
31 arcane knowledge' to Arch )