From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 06:19:05
1 On 30 March 2012 17:08, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > in the install handbook gives "/usr/local/portage" as an example overlay
4 > directory. I thought it was implicit that one shouldn't edit or create
5 > files in /usr/portage because they may be overwritten by the system e.g.
6 > during an "emerge --sync". Maybe the manual needs to state this
7 > explicitly. Also, /usr/local is the "standard" place to keep one's own
8 > software and/or global customizations that aren't handled by the package
9 > manager, but don't belong in one user's home directory.
12 Yeah, I don't have that layout /now/, but there was a time where one of my
13 systems had stuff in there, for whatever reason, and I can't recall
14 deciding to put it there myself. But that said, I *have* been using Gentoo
15 since one of the 2004.x releases ... Ah the good old days of having the
16 choice of NPTL ;)
20 Kent
21
22 perl -e "print substr( \"edrgmaM SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 )