From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] games.eclass
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:44:41
1 On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 2:17 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't know. Stick to your word, maybe?
4
5 I'm glad we have you here to be our conscience. :)
6
7 I'm sure this will go on the next agenda. However, the decision to
8 kick the can was actually an intentional one. We were hoping to see
9 more interest in fixing the games team and it didn't turn up. We
10 didn't want to cause more harm than good.
13 > So far, neither the council, nor QA, nor ComRel were particularly
14 > helpful with the situation.
15
16 Well, the problem is that nobody wants to clean up games. Short of
17 the council members joining the games team and doing the work
18 themselves there isn't really anything that is going to make you
19 happy. Another solution is to just treeclean all the games, and that
20 certainly isn't going to make anybody happy.
21
22 We get it. Everybody wants somebody else to spend a lot of time doing
23 something that will make their life easier for free. It is a pretty
24 common theme in FOSS. Certainly we're not the only distro where I've
25 seen this sort of complaint come up.
26
27 I think we try to find a good balance in Gentoo in empowering devs and
28 still providing most of the benefits of centralization to users and
29 each other.
32 > If the team is disbanded, then regular tree policy applies and
33 > everything goes through the regular community discussion/decision
34 > channels without the need of QA putting their prefixes/hats everywhere.
35
36 So far the QA team hasn't done anything at all on this issue. In fact
37 the QA lead suggested that he didn't want to take the initiative.
38 Perhaps you should wait for QA to actually do something before you
39 appeal it to the council, and wait for the council to deny your appeal
40 before you complain about it here.
41
42 And QA doesn't just govern packages maintained by project teams. In
43 fact, those are the sorts of packages they /should/ have to spend the
44 least time worrying about. Of course, they're free to pursue policy
45 violations wherever they see them.
46
47 In any case, I don't find the whole argument about "who has permission
48 to implement this really good idea" debate very helpful. I'd rather
49 focus on whether it is a really good idea. If it is, let's make it
50 happen.
51
52 I don't want to turn into Debian where after it is clear that most
53 people want something to happen they go back and forth for six months
54 with 14 resolutions and 12 committees and 85 appeals to parliamentary
55 procedure all arguing over who has the power to do what. Heaven
56 forbid that there are two developers somewhere who are forced to do
57 something without as much due process as the US government affords
58 people accused of murder. This isn't the US Senate. If devs ever
59 want that kind of operation, do me a favor and elect somebody else to
60 Council.
61
62 This is just a discussion right now. I think most of the arguments
63 pro and con have been made, and if there are others people can make
64 them.
65
66 I just don't think it is helpful to argue about who is allowed to
67 raise the topic in the first place, or who is allowed to make the
68 decision. QA has fairly broad discretion in our current setup, and
69 the Council has jurisdiction over just about anything that isn't
70 financial/legal in nature. Heck, some have argued for having a
71 project leader / dictator role to cut through red tape. We don't need
72 to argue about whether we're allowed to make progress.
75 > If a new team is constituted, then they might establish new policies,
76 > also without QA dictating anything. And I would give that some time,
77 > which means don't start funny mass commits/conversions.
80 Well, that "new team" has had months since they failed to resolve the
81 last crisis, and it has weeks before the next council meeting. If the
82 "new team" hasn't even gotten around to acting like they actually
83 exist by then, I wouldn't expect everybody else to hold their breath.
86 Rich