From: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] enable verbose build whenever it's possible
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:29:34
1 W dniu 05.11.2011 18:04, Michał Górny pisze:
2 > On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 12:05:15 +0100
3 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>>>>>> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011, Kacper Kowalik wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> I'd like to ask that we enable verbose building by default. I have
8 >>> cmake-utils.eclass in mind, because it's dead easy there, but
9 >>> there's a lot of packages that support things like "make V=1" or
10 >>> "make VERBOSE=1" too.
11 >>
12 >>> I've seen too many bugs reports today that gave me cute, colorful
13 >>> build.logs and almost no information about underlaying bug...
14 >>
15 >> In fact, there's already bug 379497 [1] open for this. Some build
16 >> systems might use the variable V for something else, so adding
17 >> --disable-silent-rules may be the safer solution.
18 Of course --disable-silent-rules is the way to go for autotools based
19 packages.
20 >
21 > Yeah, please use the correct configure opt rather than throwing in
22 > random makevars.
23 I don't want to throw any vars blindly to emake. V=1 was just an example
24 that I've seen in some packages' build systems. It was more like a
25 proposal to use whatever build system of given package provides.
26 Cheers,
27 Kacper