From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:09:56
1 On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:32:19 +0100 Grobian <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 | I was referring to the item-name. It is defined to allow "-", whild
3 | the fields are also separated with "-". Hence I suggested to allow
4 | "_" in the item-name instead of "-" to avoid (possible) problems when
5 | parsing the field.
6
7 The fields are separated with .s. Underscores for the name don't make
8 parsing any more or less difficult.
9
10 | > | In any case, elaborate on why supporting only OR was chosen and
11 | > | why other (probably investigated) options were discarded (and
12 | > | hence make my statement above unnecessary).
13 | >
14 | > The previous draft had an option for and or none-of modes. I took it
15 | > out because I don't think it's going to be anywhere near as useful
16 | > as one might initially think.
17 |
18 | I'd appreciate it if that would be documented and grounded.
19
20 Actually, I'm starting to think Jason's idea works best.
21
22 | Then what is the point in requiring it is correct English? (Not even
23 | considering the big difference between UK/US English) You can and
24 | will not enforce it. Everyone writing such news item will do her/his
25 | best to make it sound like real English, and perhaps ask for help,
26 | but that's it. Hence my suggestion to put the doc writers in the
27 | loop somehow.
28
29 What makes you suppose that the doc writers are the most qualified
30 English language speakers?
31
32 | > | Does portage only 'warn' and still continue, or does it completely
33 | > | stop when an unread news item is found for a package that is to be
34 | > | upgraded? In the first case, the 'preemptive' requirement is being
35 | > | violated, in the latter, the option for a '--force' or something
36 | > | must be discussed. (Users with multiple systems might already
37 | > | know the message, or users might not be interested in it since
38 | > | they don't run the application in production.)
39 | >
40 | > Portage only *warns* you if you try to unmerge glibc...
41 |
42 | Which means you won't be able to satisfy your "preemptive"
43 | requirement.
44
45 Not at all. You can warn users repeatedly, but there comes a point when
46 trying to warn them any further becomes futile.
50 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Anti-XML, anti-newbie conspiracy)
51 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
52 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm