From: Lars Strojny <lars@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] What's on with ejabberd and relatives?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:58:42
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm currently heavily involved with jabber-related packages. As a result
4 I have to struggle with the really seldomn maintained packages in
5 Gentoo. As an example: ejabberd 1.0 is not in portage until now, it was
6 released in early december last year. There is not really a reason for
7 this, because it runs (with a few modifications) stable and could be
8 used in production.
9 Another issue are transports. As you know there are only two flavours of
10 Jabber-transports: rotten or broken. But as a result of introducing the
11 py*-t-transports things become better, but: Gentoo did not have them.
12 There is an really outdated version of pymsn around there (as a
13 low-quality ebuild, btw.) and some ebuilds in the wild[1], but they are
14 still lower quality (installing dot-svn-files, complete strange
15 installation target and so on).
16
17 To come to an end: jabber is not really the most unimportant thing, so
18 things should go better. I want to provide my ebuilds[2] for Gentoo's
19 main tree and I would also offer my help on jabber-stuff (if it's need
20 and it's not just a matter of motivation or so). Anyway, it must become
21 better.
22
23 [1]http://gentoo.zugaina.org/net-im.html.en
24 [2]http://svn.breakmygentoo.net/bmg-main/net-im/ejabberd/ejabberd-1.0.0-r1.ebuild
25 http://svn.breakmygentoo.net/bmg-main/net-im/pymsn-t/pymsn-t-0.11a.ebuild
26 http://svn.breakmygentoo.net/bmg-main/net-im/pyicq-t/pyicq-t-0.7.ebuild
27
28 Sincerley,
29 Lars Strojny
30 --
31 "Kriterium des Wahren ist nicht seine unmittelbare
32 Kommunizierbarkeit an jedermann"
33 -- Theodor Wiesengrund Adorno, aus: »Negative Dialektik«
34
35 name: Lars H. Strojny web: http://strojny.net
36 street: Engelsstraße 23 blog: http://usrportage.de
37 city: D-51103 Köln mail/jabber: lars@×××××××.net
38 f-print: 1FD5 D8EE D996 8E3E 1417 328A 240F 17EB 0263 AC07