From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: williamh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:21:05
1 On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:32:35 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > As said before, ~arch users know that their systems will break
5 > sometimes, so if the package works for you, unleash it on ~arch. If
6 > someone using a configuration you don't have finds that it breaks, I'm
7 > sure it would be reported. Then you could determine whether the bug is
8 > severe enough to warrant a mask.
9
10 As long as important/core/system packages don't result in a wide scale
11 breakage on ~arch this approach should be fine; we've been doing fine
12 before, so I don't think that this warrants a change in what we do.
13
14 Just want to note that you can get an idea from previous outages (or
15 similar events like python-exec / UPower) on how much testing is needed.
18 With kind regards,
19
20 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
21 Gentoo Developer
22
23 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
24 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
25 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D