From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] separate /usr without initramfs
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 18:40:24
1 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Hey all,
3 >
4 > I have been advised to bring this topic back to the list before taking
5 > any action, so here it is.
6 >
7 > First, I need to clarify what I'm *NOT* talking about.
8 >
9 > This discussion has nothing to do with whether or not you have the
10 > split-usr use flag turned on; all of us officially have that on because
11 > /bin, /lib* and /sbin are directories in the official Gentoo setup. In
12 > other words, I am *not* talking about forcing the /usr merge.
13 >
14 > Unfortunately, the concept of separate usr has gotten wrapped up in the
15 > split-usr use flag and doesn't have to be. For the record, I mean something
16 > very specific when I say "separate usr". I am talking about the situation
17 > where /usr is a mount point separate from /, so in this thread, let's stick
18 > to "separate usr" for that situation. I am *not* even saying that using
19 > separate usr is wrong or unsupported. You can even run separate usr with
20 > split-usr turned off if you would like to do so.
21 >
22 > Now for the use case I want to talk about, and that is using separate
23 > /usr without using an initramfs to boot your system and pre-mount /usr.
24 >
25 > If you do this, many things are broken, and this is why the binary
26 > distros all use an initramfs if you do this. This configuration is also
27 > unsupported officially in Gentoo [1] [2], and it is not shown as the
28 > example setup in our handbook.
29 >
30 > I want to hear from people who have / and /usr on separate partitions
31 > and who are not using an initramfs.
32 >
33 > If you are in this group, I have a very specific question. Why aren't
34 > you using an initramfs?
35 >
36 > Thanks,
37 >
38 > William
39 >
40 > [1] https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20130924-summary.txt
41 > [2] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/data/gentoo-news.git/commit/?id=a79dd69b0cca439bc0c483c9193c79e0554819d0
44 I have a separate /usr among others and always have.  The reason I do
45 that, /boot and / are normal partitions but everything else is LVM.  I
46 can adjust the size of everything BUT /boot and /.  At the time I did
47 that, the init thingy was not needed if I recall correctly.  I might
48 add, I've had to grow /usr and /var a couple times.  Before LVM, it
49 meant copying over to another drive, repartitioning and then restoring
50 to the old drive.  Time consuming and one wrong command could ruin a
51 install.
52
53 While I have a init thingy, I do not like it.  I've had a couple
54 failures already with those things.  Luckily I keep older kernels and
55 such for that.  If I had my wish, I would not need a init thingy, ever.
56 It's just one more thing that can cause problems.  There's already more
57 than enough things that can break.  While I understand the problem comes
58 from upstream, I still think it sucks.  It's easy enough to have a
59 unbootable kernel as it is.  Adding another layer for booting to fail
60 should be avoided.  BTW, I use dracut.  I tried to build it other ways
61 but couldn't get it to work.  Bad thing is, when one fails even built
62 with dracut, I have no clue how it works really so no idea how to fix
63 other than using a older kernel or just rerunning dracut and hoping for
64 the best.
65
66 I'm also not looking forward to the other situation you mentioned
67 either.  At some point, having separate partitions won't be easy with or
68 without a init thingy.  I can't easily resize / without reworking the
69 whole thing.
70
71 Just my point of view on why I don't like the thing and wish I didn't
72 have to have one.
73
74 Dale
75