From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: net-mail/vchkuser
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 21:53:53
1 John Helmert III wrote:
2 > > Jonas Stein wrote:
3 > > > # Dead upstream
4 > > > # Removal after 2023-01-01. Bug #881249.
5 > > > net-mail/vchkuser
6 > >
7 > > Was there an actual issue with the package that prompted you to do
8 > > this - something that a package maintainer should have resolved?
9 > >
10 > > I think it's a bad idea to remove a package if "Upstream Homepage and
11 > > SRC_URI is gone" and "Gentoo is the last distro with this package"
12 > > are the only reasons...
13 >
14 > Do you use it? Is it still functional?
15
16 I don't use it, I use something else for the same task.
17
18 Looking up the GitHub user that person seems present, just that
19 particular repo is no longer there.
20
21 Searching for the repo name on GitHub finds this however:
22
23 https://github.com/bdrewery/vchkuser
24
25 ..which seems to be a 2010 version of the code. I did a test, it works
26 fine. Maybe just change the SRC_URI.
29 //Peter