From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Security Bug Assignment Change
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 01:49:02
1 On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 03:49:32PM +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > On 15.4.2022 4.38, John Helmert III wrote:
3 > > Hi all! Currently all security bugs are assigned to security@g.o,
4 > > always. This can easily lead to some confusion about who needs to do
5 > > something about a given bug; right now this is generally tracked by
6 > > whiteboard magic strings that probably not many people outside of the
7 > > Security Project understand [1] and this has been a source of
8 > > confusion around security bugs for a long time.
9 >
10 > Is there a specific group that has this problem? E.g. inactive
11 > developers, proxied maintainers, (dead) projects? Like is this actually
12 > a wide-spread problem?
13
14 No, I don't think so. But currently the one who is expected to act on
15 a bug is only discernable via whiteboard, which is somewhat unique in
16 security bugs. Removing some of that 'magic' would seem to be a good
17 thing in any case.
20 > > To make it abundantly clear who needs to take action for a given bug,
21 > > I propose we move away from the dogma of security@ always being
22 > > assigned to security bugs, and instead assign bugs to whoever needs to
23 > > take action for the bug. For example, on security bugs that need a
24 > > package bumped or cleaned up, the package maintainer would be
25 > > assigned. For bugs needing a GLSA, security@ would be assigned.
26 > >
27 > > As a nice side effect, this would be a step towards making security
28 > > bug state discernable outside of the human-maintained and oft-stale
29 > > whiteboard. In the long term, a maintainer's security bugs could be
30 > > more easily tracked via things like packages.g.o.
31 >
32 > p.g.o already has a "security" tab for maintainers, but the bug listing
33 > is pretty ineffective already as-is.
34
35 Right, because there's not a trivial way to identify who needs to do
36 something for a security bug. Under this new scheme, a bug would only
37 be under a maintainer's security bug tab if they were assigned (i.e.,
38 the package needs a bump), and then removed when security@ is
39 assigned.
42 > > As far as bug handling goes, I see two obvious (though rathor minor)
43 > > sticky points:
44 > >
45 > > - Who do we assign bugs to when a bug is in stabilization
46 > > state? The stabilization bug will always be assigned to the
47 > > maintainer, but the security bug will be neither actionable by the
48 > > maintainer nor security@ until the stabilization is finished.
49 > >
50 > > - Rarely, we have a security bug that affects multiple packages with
51 > > different maintainers (e.g. a package and its -bin variant). Under
52 > > this scheme, we would have to always separate bugs by package
53 > > maintainer.
54 > >
55 > > I'm not proposing any change to the Bugzilla product or component, so
56 > > security bugs will still be able to be exhaustively enumerated this
57 > > way, but any tooling that relies on security bugs always being
58 > > assigned to security@ would have to be changed.
59 > >
60 > > What do you all think?
61 > >
62 > > [1] https://www.gentoo.org/support/security/vulnerability-treatment-policy.html "Severity Level" section
63 >
64 > I don't mind either way as long as it's really fixing a problem. Just
65 > got familiar with the new workflow after most recent change...
66
67 I didn't think it was that invasive or disruptive of a change.
68
69 > Anyway hope things have gotten better since sending this e-mail, but I
70 > fear (assume) people who had these problems aren't actively reading the
71 > mailing list either.
72
73 I don't think this is really relevant to my proposal. If we decide to
74 implement this and people get it wrong, oh well. The situation will
75 still gradually get better.
76
77 > -- juippis