From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla isn't just for bugs [reminder]
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:04:18
1 Recent thread on vpopmail had a few developers make this comment
2 (quoting robbat2):
3
4 From: <robbat2@g.o>
5 To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
6 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] VPopmail - SUID vchkpw
7
8 >In the absence of a proper QA team, users are some of the best
9 >large-scale QA available. All I'm asking for are reports that a package
10 >"Works for me". Try the ebuilds out, and send some feedback in.
11
12 I can't speak for other developers or herd maintainers, but if you have
13 been using a perl package that is ~arch masked and think its as good as
14 it gets, please file a 'bug' on bugzilla saying so. I've seen folks
15 lately doing it for amd64 keywording - yay! But we also need that kind
16 of feedback for mainstream keywording. Otherwise we get into the
17 situation that any dev has faced - you have a package ~arched, you use
18 it for a month or three, no problems, but then it languishes in ~arch
19 land because you don't have the gentle reminder that others think its
20 ready for prime time too.
21
22 I guess the drift I'm trying to making (and why I separated this out
23 from that longer thread) is to encourage the folks on this list, being a
24 development list and all, to please post on bugzilla for both the good
25 and the bad of any ~arch package your using - any feedback helps us
26 churn out a newer Gentoo for you faster ;)
27
28 Thanks for lending me your ears, collections is at the rear of the
29 store,
30
31 ~mcummings