From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 01:05:05
1 On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 02:29, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 > make menuconfig, make <bzImage|vmlinux[.32]>[, make modules[_install]], then
3 > update the bootloader, is how I've done kernels for the longest time.  This
4 > new approach makes the above command sequence invalid if under a separate /usr.
5
6 If your /usr doesn't require kernel modules (e.g., same harddisk and
7 filesystem as /), you can create an initramfs consisting of Busybox
8 and 2-line /init (mount /usr and switch_root), and forget about it
9 after adjusting bootloader configuration. I guess that OpenRC could
10 even opportunistically try to "fstabinfo --mount /usr 2>/dev/null" in
11 init.sh to support such usecases.
14 Maxim Kammerer
15 Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)