From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 01:05:05
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 02:29, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
> make menuconfig, make <bzImage|vmlinux[.32]>[, make modules[_install]], then > update the bootloader, is how I've done kernels for the longest time.  This > new approach makes the above command sequence invalid if under a separate /usr.
If your /usr doesn't require kernel modules (e.g., same harddisk and filesystem as /), you can create an initramfs consisting of Busybox and 2-line /init (mount /usr and switch_root), and forget about it after adjusting bootloader configuration. I guess that OpenRC could even opportunistically try to "fstabinfo --mount /usr 2>/dev/null" in to support such usecases. -- Maxim Kammerer Liberté Linux (discussion / support: