From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:22:33
1 On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 12:23:31PM -0700, Mark Dierolf wrote:
2 > This whole conversation has gotten out of hand. Step back and realize
3 > that a massive portion of gentoo's userbase wants/needs dhcp. It's a
4 > big thing.
5 The majority of the userbase may have use for BOOTP/DHCP, but that
6 doesn't mean they should be stuck with a dhcp client.
7
8 The kernel IP autoconfig support is all I use on some of my systems.
9
10 > If you really want to *strip* gentoo, get rid of wget. WTF is wget
11 > doing in by default??
12 Fine, lets make a virtual for a URL fetcher, and just have portage (that
13 requires some way of fetching files) depend on that.
14
15 > The reason is, wget is needed by portage. For many users, dhcp is needed as
16 > well. If I can't connect to the net, I can't emerge dhcpcd to get on the net.
17 > Circular dependencies suck.
18 Install dhcpcd from a livecd (after chrooting), mainly when you install
19 initially. We already tell users to install a syslogger and cron daemon
20 (but we don't explictly require them, and it is quite possible to have a
21 system that doesn't have them), why should a dhcp client be any
22 different?
23
24 > There is a usability/space tradeoff for all of this. IMO, let's remove
25 > framebuffers, slocate, modutils, and hdparm from system, and THEN there might
26 > be a good enough argument to seriously justify leaving out dhcpcd. For now,
27 > this is a pitifully small thing which is waayyy too valuable to have around.
28 There is already nothing to require you having those on your system.
29
30 > Is our goal just to be able to boot, or do we want to be able to boot and do
31 > something?
32 If you want to do things, you should install the packages to do those
33 things, eg:
34 syslogging - install a logger
35 cronjobs - install a cron daemon
36 dhcp - install a dhcp client
37 etc.
38
39 > At the very least, let's make it a USE flag that is on by default. That way,
40 > all of the "hardcore" users can strip out that whopping 62k that dhcpcd and
41 > all of it's related documentation take up by putting -dhcp in their
42 > make.conf. I think it's ridiculous, but i'm an advocate of flexibility.
43 I'd say having users just install it if they need it is a much more
44 flexible solution that needing to put a dhcp use flag into place.
45 That way they also don't lose their dhcp client when they do USE="-*
46 ..."
47
48 > If we have 1000 use flags, 1000 more can't hurt, right?
49 PHP5's 101 use flags at last count is getting out of hand already.
52 Robin Hugh Johnson
53 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
54 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
55 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
56 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85